Wednesday, December 30, 2009




I must admit Cottage Cheese has never been a favorite food of mine. I have tried it with fruit, with honey, alone; nothing ever seemed to lure me in to the fold of cottage cheese. So, when I was presented with the opportunity to sample and review Daisy Brand Low Fat 2% Cottage Cheese, I was a little apprehensive, but thought I would give it one last try.

Daisy’s Low Fat 2% Cottage Cheese is available in both a 16 oz. and 24 oz. size containers and is all natural with no preservatives and no added hormones. Daisy Brand Cottage Cheese is currently in limited distribution. Click here to view availability.

Here is what their website has to say about their low fat 2% cottage cheese:
Daisy Brand Low Fat (2%) Cottage Cheese is low in fat without giving up any of its delicious, refreshing taste. Now, you can enjoy an all natural low fat cottage cheese made with the care and quality you’ve come to expect from Daisy. And it's also an excellent source of protein to help keep you satisfied and on the go. It's low fat cottage cheese, the Daisy way.


About Daisy
Daisy Brand is a fourth-generation, family-owned business that prides itself on producing and selling high-quality dairy products, while providing a good value to its consumers. It is these principles that have set the foundation for growth and continue to be the driving force behind the company's direction. Daisy began as a cheese company in 1917, delivering products in a horse–drawn cart, and nine decades later is serving customers coast-to-coast from the largest sour cream plant in the world. Through four generations, one thing has remained constant and unwavering – a dedication to quality. Our ingredients are always pure and natural, creating products that are as fresh the day they’re opened as when they were made. That’s the Daisy way. It has helped us become the leading national brand of regular sour cream and light sour cream in America. Be sure to watch for new Daisy Brand Cottage Cheese coming soon to a store near you!

So, I thought trying the 2% cottage cheese would be a great way for me to jump start my New Year’s resolution of losing some weight. It’s low in fat and high in protein, what could be a better way to start those pounds moving south. After looking around the Daisy website I found quite a few recipes for their Cottage Cheese. The first one I tried was:


Baked Crab and Cheese Wonton Cups
• Prep Time: 15 Minutes
• Time To Table: 40 Minutes
• Serves: 15
Ingredients
• 1/2 cup Daisy Brand 2% Cottage Cheese
• 1 6 ounce can drained crab meat
• 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
• 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
• 1/4 cup diced celery
• 3 thinly sliced green onions with tops
• 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
• 1 minced garlic clove
• 15 won ton wrappers

Directions
Combine cottage cheese, crab meat, Parmesan cheese, Swiss cheese, celery, green onions, lemon peel and garlic in a medium bowl until well blended. Press won ton wrappers into 15 mini muffin cups sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Place rounded tablespoon filling in each won ton wrapper. Lightly spray with non-stick spray to coat. Bake on bottom rack in 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking pan; cool 10 minutes. Serve hot with sweet-sour sauce or mustard sauce.
Nutritional Information: Calories - 127 cals Total Fat - 2 g Cholesterol - 17 mg Dietary Fiber - 1 g Sodium - 279 mg Protein - 8 g Total Carbohydrate - 19 g

Can I just say, yummy!!!. This was so good, I would've never guessed that it included cottage cheese if I didn’t make it myself. I made one small adjustment by adding some Cayenne pepper, since I like things spicy. This is one recipe that went into my recipe binder. So, with the success of this recipe I thought I would give another a try. This second one was right up my alley, since I love bread. I did however make two substitutions, first I replaced the 4% cottage cheese with the 2% I had on hand, the second substitution was instead of sharp cheddar cheese, I used pepper jack cheese. It still came out very tasty, just not as moist as I think they would have come out with the 4% cottage cheese, the pepper jack cheese gave it just the punch I was looking for. These are reminiscent of the Red Lobster biscuits, yummy!!!!

Garlic Cheese Drop Biscuits
• Prep Time: 15 Minutes
• Time To Table: 30 Minutes
• Serves: 12
Ingredients:
• 2 cups baking mix
• 1/4 cup cold butter + 1 tablespoon, divided usage
• 1 large egg
• 1 cup Daisy Brand 4% Cottage Cheese
• 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix baking mix and ¼ cup of cold butter until like coarse crumbs. Make a well in centre of the dry ingredients and place in it the eggs, cottage cheese, Cheddar cheese and milk. Stir just until moistened. Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and sprayed with non-stick spray. Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes. Meanwhile, melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and add garlic powder. Brush on the tops of cooked biscuits once removed from oven.

Now, I’m not sure that either of these recipes would fall into the category of “diet” and they were not presented as such on the Daisy website, but they certainly are good. I’m still not the sit down and eat spoonfuls of cottage cheese girl, but with the huge assortment of recipes on the Daisy website, I will be able to add more, low fat dairy to my diet. For more information and to learn where to find Daisy Brand Cottage Cheese in your area, visit http://www.FreshenUpYourFridge.com. Also check out, Cottage Cheese: The Best Kept Secret.



*** I was provided Daisy Low Fat 2% Cottage Cheese by Daisy for review purposes only. No other form of compensation was received. The opinions expressed are my own and have not been influenced
Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: