Sunday, December 13, 2009


****NOW CLOSED****
Recently, I was contacted to sample and review Shirley J. universal sauce. This product is an all in one product used to make sauces, gravies, soups, the list is almost endless. Their website has tons of recipes for dishes that can be made using the universal sauce. They also offer other products such as baking mixes and seasonings on their site as well.

I found a recipe for Spicy Sausage Chowder on their site and had to give it a try. The weather had recently cooled and I was feeling in the mood for a hearty soup and this recipe was a good fit. I went to the market yesterday and found the Spicy Italian turkey sausage on sale for 2 packs for $6.00, so I picked up a couple to use in this recipe. This recipe was really easy to put together and didn’t take nearly as long as if I had to build my own base. Just look at the directions:

On medium heat in a small stock pot add oil and allow for it to get hot. Add onions, celery, and carrot. Cook for about 5-6 minutes. Stir so that the vegetables do not burn. Add sausage and cook until brown. Add the corn. Next add water and Shirley J Universal Sauce, bring to a simmer. When soup is thickened let cook for an additional 5 minutes.

Take a look at the Universal Sauce nutritional information and ingredients list.


The chowder came out really well, the only thing I changed was to add some additional seasoning, since I really like things spicy. This dish was a definite hit and will make for a great lunch tomorrow. I received the 48 oz. universal sauce package to sample, so there is still quite a bit left to try with other recipes I found on the website. Take a look here to see their entire line of products. During the holiday season, this mix is sure to come in handy for all those dishes you need to bring to potlucks or, for a quick family meal after a long day at work.

This is what their website has to say about the Universal Sauce:
You’ve never cooked with anything like this before! At the heart of Shirley J is our Universal Sauce, the basis for everything from creamy soups and sauces to smooth gravies, family-pleasing casseroles and literally hundreds of recipes. All foolproof so you’re free to have fun in the kitchen again.

In fact, all you do is add water to our miracle Universal Sauce, stir and heat and you have a savory, velvety-smooth sauce or soup that won’t separate or curdle, even if simmered for hours. No more lumpy gravy thanks to Shirley J.

I’d like to thank Shirley J. for providing me with their Universal Sauce to sample. Oh, guess what? The people at Shirley J. are in such a giving mood, that they are offering to send one lucky reader a package of their very own to try out. Just in time for those holiday dishes.

This contest will end on December 19, 2009 at 9:00 pm pst. The winner will be selected using random.org. Winners will be contacted via email and will have 48 hours to claim their prize or another winner will be chosen. Please be sure to watch your inbox and spam folders, for a You've Won email from desperatelyseekingdeals(at)yahoo(dot)com. You must include your email address or your entries will not be counted. Open to US residents only! Good Luck!!!

To enter:
Main Entry (required) - Visit Shirley J. and tell me one recipe you would like to try. This is your required entry; it's a must in order for any bonus entries to count!

Bonus Entries (optional) (leave a separate comment for each entry)

*2 entries* Follow me on twitter @scrappydz.

* 1 entry per day* tweet the following: Enter to win Shirley J. Universal Sauce @scrappydz http://tinyurl.com/ydzdgvm Please RT. (Your comment should include your tweetlink.)

*1 entry* Follow my blog on Google Friend connect (right sidebar)

*1 entry* Comment on any non-giveaway post, leave a comment for each one.

*5 entries* Blog about this giveaway with a link back to this post.

***I was provided by Shirley J. with this product for review purposes. No other form of compensation was received. All opinions expressed are my own.
Share/Save/Bookmark

26 comments:

bethany said...

Thai peanut sauce over rice noodles!! YUM! Thanks!

bethany said...

Twitter theivytwines1

bethany said...

twitter2

bethany said...

Tweet! Enter to win Shirley J. Universal Sauce @scrappydz http://tinyurl.com/ydzdgvm Please RT

bethany said...

Google friend

Emily said...

My cousin told me all about this stuff. She loves it & I want to try some, too. I just want to start with basics the white sauce and the sourdough bread. It would be fun to try the peanut sauce since I just made up a recipe for that the other day that was heavenly. Then I could compare!

Missa said...

I would try the Quick & Easy Alfredo Sauce!

sweetmissa at gmail dot com

Missa said...

I follow you on twitter (hunniebee724)

1

Missa said...

I follow you on twitter (hunniebee724)

2

Missa said...

Tweet: http://twitter.com/hunniebee724/status/6746056845

sweetmissa at gmail dot com

Missa said...

I follow on google friend connect.

andrea v said...

Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Soup
sounds good. I found so many I'd love to try
vickers at comcast dot net

andrea v said...

following you on twitter-vickers2622

andrea v said...

following you on twitter-vickers2622
entry2

Beeb said...

The Creamy Rosemary Mashed Potatoes sounds really good right now! Thank you for the giveaway!


~Beeb
supercoupongirl AT gmail.com

Beeb said...

I follow on Twitter! Find me @hardertobreathe !


~Beeb
supercoupongirl AT gmail.com

Beeb said...

Entry #2 for following on Twitter (@hardertobreathe)


~Beeb
supercoupongirl AT gmail.com

Beeb said...

Tweeted here:

http://twitter.com/hardertobreathe/statuses/6836999754


~Beeb
supercoupongirl AT gmail.com

Laura said...

I'd like to try the Creamy Rosemary Mashed Potatoes.

Laura said...

I follow you on Twitter @couponlover16.
#1

Laura said...

I follow you on Twitter @couponlover16.
#2

Laura said...

I tweeted:
http://twitter.com/couponlover16/status/6846674195

Laura said...

I follow on Google Friend Connect.

debbielynne said...

I'd like to try the Cheesy Cheddar Broccoli Soup!

deborahcraft at yahoo dot com

V said...

I would like the try the cheesy sauce. :) Maybe even the alfredo sauce. We love pasta.
spiphibus at gmail dot com

V said...

I follow via google friend.
spiphibus at gmail dot com