Wednesday, December 2, 2009



As a member of BzzAgent, I am sometimes given the opportunity to sample and review products, as well as share with friends and family. Recently, I was sent some of Minute Rice new Ready to Serve Brown Rice, as well as some of the Ready to Serve White Rice. I have to tell you, I am a huge rice fan. As kids, rice was a staple with every dinner. I however, unlike most people love my rice clumpy, mushy and sticky, not the way it is really meant to be enjoyed.

So, when I was contacted last month to try out the new Minute Rice, Ready to Serve, I was thrilled. This is a product made expressly for people like me; those who love rice but hate the hassle of cooking it. The ready rice comes in two 8 oz cups per package. I have been able to find the white and brown variety, but have not been able to locate the brown and wild rice package, nor the chicken flavored package. Each cup cooks up in just 60 seconds in the microwave and is perfect for families that may eat at separate times, or for a quick snack or lunch item.

When usually making brown rice it is a little tough to always get the right texture. I usually use a rice cooker and instead of using water I use chicken broth as the liquid. It adds a great flavor, especially when pairing it with chicken and veggies. It took me a little while to get used to the different texture of brown rice, but once I found this little trick I have been hooked. There is also another bonus to eating brown rice over white rice. Brown rice is healthier, because isn’t all the processing involved. It has more fiber and nutrients than regular white rice does and you still get to feed your rice fix.

We enjoyed the Ready to Serve rice with dinner. I heated the two 8 oz. cups in two, count em’ 2 minutes in the microwave. I then added some black beans and finely chopped bell peppers that had been sautéed. This paired with roasted chicken from the market made dinner come together in less than 15 minutes. No one knew we were having rice with dinner because they didn’t smell it cooking like they usually do when it is boiling on the stovetop.

Here is what the website has to say about the boxed version of Minute Rice Brown Rice - Naturally wholesome, with a rich nutty taste, Minute Brown Rice is a precooked natural parboiled whole grain brown rice. In just 10 minutes, Minute Brown Rice can be a part of a healthier diet and lifestyle. This long grain precooked brown rice offers the same nutritional values as regular cooking brown rice, but cooks in just 1/4 of the time.

If you haven’t tried it, I recommend you give it a try. I think you will be hooked just as I am.

*** As a member of BzzAgent I was provided two packages of Minute Rice Ready to Serve to sample and review. No other form of compensation was received. The opinions are those of my family and myself.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comments:

Kathy Rambousek said...

I tried this, but didn't really care for it. We eat a lot of rice, but never any quick rices. I thought that this rice was kind of dry and had an unusual taste. I packed in my rice-loving son's lunch and he agreed - blah.